The Centre of Polish Sculpture in Orońsko
The cultural tradition of Orońsko originated in the middle of 19th century. Succeeding owners of the manor – Christiani, the Pruszaks and the Brandts, cultivated it. Józef Brandt, an outstanding Polish painter following the historical-genre tradition, was connected with the circle of Munich Academy. He was tied with Orońsko
through a marriage with the estate owner Helena Pruszak nee Wojciechowska (1877). In Brandt’s times Orońsko was transformed into an artistic colony called the Free Orońsko Academy.
The present history of the Centre started with creative stays and open-air exhibition of artists in 1965. Soon the Department for Sculptors’ Creative Work was founded. Since 1981 the Centre of Polish Sculpture has been functioning as a state institution subordinated to the Ministry of Art and Culture.
CRP has its own artistic collection. The historical part including the presentation of 19th century manorial interiors is on display in Józef Brandt’s palace. Simultaneously, a collection of Polish and foreign contemporary art is created. The collection contains, among others, the works of: Magdalena Abakanowicz, Bronisław Chromy, Barbara Falender, Władysław Hasior, Jerzy Jarnuszkiewicz, Adam Myjak, Franciszek Strynkiewicz.
The Centre offers exhibition space of attractive architectural and landscape value. It includes the Museum of Contemporary Sculpture and galleries located within the area of the landscape park – „Chapel” Gallery, „Coach House” Gallery and „Orangery”. Apart from the buildings, the area of the manorial park is also used for exhibitions. Exhibition halls house several presentations every year. The most important ones were devoted to the history of the latest sculpture and retrospective presentations of outstanding sculptors. The youngest generation artists are popularised in a regular programme – the Triennial of Youth.